Thursday, June 02, 2005

Browning Newspaper Notes 1960 - 1961

1960

Financial scandal in School District #9 began in 1952. Cloke destroyed all financial records from 6/28/52 to 3/27/59 and all school minutes from 9/15/54 to 2/25/58. County superintendent noted “no problem.” $113,924.35 unaccounted for.

Jan 14
Ned Jacobs, who has been visiting the past few months in New Jersey and Denver, CO, returned to Browning Tuesday.

Jan 28
War Mothers and Legion to Sponsor War Memorial. RMS advisor -- estimates for statues on top, either a soldier or an Indian in a warbonnet.
Ole Jacob Overdahl dies. Born Sept. 17, 1884, Hitra, Norway. Married Alemena Daranger in 1913.

April 14
Lillian Cook was showing the new field nurse, Inez Nelson, around the neighborhood Monday.

April 21
Bison Creek Dude Ranch burned.
War Mothers say the cost of the war memorial is too much.
Black Lodge will give a dance in Starr School. Joe Old Chief and Darrell Blackman will be in charge.

May 19
Darrell Blackman is the valedictorian at BHS.

May 26
Sister Mary Augustine OP, the former Margaret Still Smoking, Dominican Sisters in Kettle Falls, WA
Threats to abandon #49, Looking Glass.
Leslie B. Davis is the assistant curator at the Museum of the Plains Indian.

June 30
Helen West did a story about Starvation Winter, 1883-84.

July 7
George Montgomery filmed Indian Days.
Cloke can’t be prosecuted for missing money -- no evidence, says Welch.

July 28
Sarno arrested -- he’s actually Kenneth Norton, an escapee from Washington.

Aug. 11
The O.A. Telleferos, accompanied by their daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Dodd of Everglades National Park, and Mr. and Mrs. Thad Scriver, drove to Kalispell Monday on their 50th Wedding Anniversary. The Telleferos were married in Kalispell fifty years ago.

Sept. 8
Tribal Council fires John Tatsey as “the law” in Heart Butte.`

Nov. 10
Theodore Last Star dies.


1961


Jan 5
Blackfoot schoolhouse burned.

Feb. 2
Photo of Big Medicine on first page.
Big Medicine, the famous albino buffalo that used to roam the range at Moiese National Bison Rance and who thrilled millions of visitors during his lifetime will soon take his place in the state historical museum. the contract and honor of mounting this huge animal was awarded to local taxidermist Bob Scriver whose exceptional talents are nationally recognized. The tanning, molding and mounting process takes about two years and is now in its last stage. The hide was in such poor condition that the job took much longer than usual. The crew of six shown putting the hide on and sewing it are Carl Cree Medicine, James Scriver, Sam Cut Finger, Bob Scriver, Henry Guardipee, and Arlene Lightfield. Albino buffaloes have light blue eyes which Bob had to make.

Joyce Turvey had an open house for John Clarke on his 80th birthday.

Californians Sponsor Modeling Exhibit
“I just got fed up with teaching and decided to do what I had always wanted to ever since I was a kid. I never really liked teaching and had always puttered around mounting small birds and animals as a hobby.” That was how Bob Scriver of Browning became one of America’s top taxidermists, if not one of the best known and recognized on the continent. “I was making a pretty good living teaching music, first at Malta, then Browning,” he added, “And having a lot of fun besides, making a few extra dollars playing one-night stands three or four times a week with a little get-together band, but I always dreamed of having a business of my own.
“While attending my local art display last friday, Vert Munt recalled the time I made up my mind to set up shop. We were playing a dance and I guess I wasn’t exactly with it when Vern leaned over and asked me what was wrong.
“How do you think a novelty and taxidermy business would do in Browning? ‘ I asked.
“Vern shrugged his shoulders, grinned, and replied, ‘You never will know until you try.’
That was in 1950 and I went to work the next day. I took down my Master’s Degree and hung up my taxidermy sign.” Since then Bob has come a long way. Not only is he a top man in the art of taxidermy, he does a mighty fine job of painting and is well on his way to recognition as a Western sculptor.
The original one-room two-story Scriver Taxidermy Studio where he first set up shop in 1950 has grown with the increasing orders and Bob’s reputation. In 1959 a 30X40 foot display room was added as a west wing, but as the specimens became more numerous and because his sculptured pieces attracted attention, still another wing was necessary so another wing was added to the west wing, giving birth to the new 3-room Museum of Montana Wildlife. “A real dream come true,” Bob mused as he leafed through the thick registration book contianing many great names from all walks of life.
His first serious attempt at sculpturing came when in 1957 the Charlie Russell contest was announced. Prior to this time he had made hundreds of miniature animal and wildlife statues which he molded, painted and sold in his wildlife museum, a high successful and expanding institute constructed after many notable art personalities had offered suggestions and encouragement. “I really got my ears pinned back in the Russell contest,” he grinned. “But maybe that was a good thing, because it made me more determined than ever to do some serious and original sculpturing...I always liked animals -- guess that’s really why I turned to taxidermy -- so I went to work modeling from my mounted trophies and after studying a few books. I even bought a horse to use as a model.”
Asked where all his inspiration come from, he replied, “I don’t always know. Sometimes I just sit down to watch TV and pretty soon I pick up a handful of clay, and when the show is over I have something started -- so, I really go to work on it.”
It was three years ago that two prominient California collectors and lovers of art came through Browning and stopped at Bob’s Museum of Montana Wildlife, then a two room structure. Dr. and Mrs. C.L. Roberts of Glendale, CA, collectors of Remington and Russell works, and Dr. and Mrs. B. Hill of Northridge, CA., who are collectors and admirers of Indian arts, were so impressed with Bob’s work and displays that they later wrote him, offering to sponsor a private showing if he would bring his displays to CA.
“I was certainly surprised,” Bob admitted, “Although I had received many fine compliments from high-rated artists, sculptors, and collectors, I just didn’t feel I was ready for that step, and then, too, I wanted to do some larger and more complicated pieces.” After several more invitations form the doctors and after having completed the pieces he had in mind, this year Bob accepted the invitation and left Sunday with his son, Jim, taking 29 pieces which will be displayed at two private showings March 16 through 19. Attendance is by invitation only and many collectors and notables are expected to attend.
“It’s the first big step, so they tell me,” Bob commented with a shrug -- “But I don’t know.”
“How do you feel about it? Are you nervous?” the reporter asked.
“Well, naturally I’m happy and excited, but we’ll just have to wait and see. This is all new to me.”
Modest and reluctant to discuss the quality of his sculpturing or his success as a taxidermist, Bob always manages to evade any conversation that might tend to sound like a self-styled compliment or an admission of a job well-done. he has a shy knack of switching the praise of his work to a comparison with long recognized artists, and makes a big point of details he has been unable to accomplish in his own works. He will point to some blend of paints or some molded gesture in the better known works and end the conversation with “See what I mean? I wish I had that.”
Bob’s recognition in taxidermy is not accident; nor is his turn to sculpturing just by chance. To build the mannequin properly for naturalness, a taxidermist must have a gift for modeling and certainly Bob has it. His success as a taxidermist has brought him many special assignments from coat to coast and as far away as Alaska. His most prized assignment was the contract to moun the famous white buffalo, “Big Medicine,” who attracted thousands of visitors to the National Bison Range at at Moiese piror to his death two years ago. Big Medicine was the only albino buffalo in the US. “He had the poorest hide I ever worked with, “Bob stated. “But we did a good job considering.” This contract came from the State Historical Society where Big Medicine will be displayed.
Other assignments came from the San Francisco Museum at which time Scriver was chosen to mount a rare desert ram and an almost extinct black-tailed jackrabbit. he has done several special assignments for the Montana Fish and Game Commission and the museum at Fort Benton.
Changing the subject back to sculpturing, Bob remarked with a grin, “So far I haven’t made any money at sculpturing. Actually, I have had to rely on my taxidermy and make bear rugs to pay for the modeling clay.”
A perfectionist for detail, Bob uses all live models for his human works, live or mounted models for animals and birds. So detailed are some of his works that if one looks closely at the “Hunting Party,” they will see a tiny bird sitting on a bush and a little chipmunk partially concealed on a grass-covered log.
To achieve authenticality of his Indian sculptured pieces, Bob invited criticism from authorities such as Dr. Claude E. Schauffer, curator of the Museum of the Plains Indian, and Dr. John C. Ewers of the Smithsonian Institute. “They certainly were a big help,” Bob compliments, “and they pointed out a good many details in dress and other details I would never have thought of.”
Bob was accepted as a member of the exclusive National Society of American Artists which membership alone gives him national recognition.
Immediately upon entering Bob’s house, one knows it could be the residence of none other than an artist and sculptor. He and his son Jim call it their bachelor headquarters. Paintings done by nationally known artists cover the walls, ranging in size from 4” by 6” to 4’ by 8’. Some of Bob’s own oils and watercolors are not unnoticeable beside the better knowns.
Sculptured models occupy every corner, shelf, flat space, and even the chairs. “Just a minute and I’ll move this,” Bob says as he picks up a freshly started piece. “I started this last night and didn’t finish it. Maybe we can find room to sit down.”
As we sat down for a chat “Kitty #2” jumps up into Bob’s lap and takes her place around the back of Bob’s neck, looking much like a gray and white spotted neckpiece.
“Our housekeeper,” Bob laughs. “Now what were we talking about...”



Thus concludes the notes I have in my files. These notes were made from Montana Historical Society microfilms for the purpose of writing a biography of Bob Scriver. I stopped at the point where I arrived on the scene in Browning. In posting this material I’ve dropped out a lot of items, partly because there was an overabundance of detail about Bob Scriver. I also omitted a few bits of news that were unhappy for some folks and didn’t bear repeating.

No comments: