Sunday, January 11, 2009

BEULAH'S JOURNAL

My grandmother, Beulah Swan Finney Strachan, left journals which I sporadically type to share with cousins. This piece is from the middle of the Depression, May, 1935. They are living in a big house on NE 15th in Portland, Oregon. Their children are my father, Bruce (unmarried traveling man at this point); May married to Doc; Glenn married to Elsie; and Seth, still at home. Glenn and Elsie run a mom & pop store at NE 42nd and Alberta.

There has just been a car accident (another car struck Sam’s, my grandfather) which broke Beulah’s collarbone. Georgia Coleman, an old friend from South Dakota homesteading days, was in the car but was not hurt. She lived in Silverton but stayed on to help Beulah. The Townsend plan was part of recovery from the Depression. Sam Strachan employed his sons and Georgia’s son in a small business that made folding camp trailers.



May 1st: Wed. Nice day outside but chilly indoors so we had some fire in Basement. The “Observer” announced a Townsend mass meeting this evening at 316 Dickinson Bldg. but there happened to be a wrestling match at the auditorium so the Townsend meeting was called off. Glenn brot Elsie over to stay with Georgia and I. Georgia retired at about 10 o’clock or 10:30. I embroidered on my linen scarf.

May 2:
Nice day but chilly inside. May called in on her return from a little shopping trip over on Sandy Blvd. She bot me a green percale or cotton broadcloth smock. $1.49 (pd.) She also brot Georgia some print for her quilts. The Okanagan Wagners called for their trailer today after having a hitch attached to their car yesterday. Mrs. Wagner called I believe. He is an agent but doesn’t receive such a high rate of commission as Western Autos so we rec. about $280. The Seattle man with the wife crippled in an auto accident brot his wife to the shop today and they took their trailer or rather accepted it, paid for it, and expect to take it Sat. the 4th inst. In the evening we all, including May, went to the Paramount to see Marx. Bros. Afterwards May drove the car home and expected to call for the men in the morning.

May 3: Still sunny outside but cold indoors. May called for the men while Sam and I were out in the yard. Lilacs and tulips are beautiful. I think I may have a few carnations soon. Lucile ran over this morning to see why I had my arm in a sling. I went to Dr. White’s office yesterday to have the tapes readjusted. Will go again Mon or Tues. Insurance Agt. Cunningham was to have called at our office, for a “get together” on the accident yesterday but failed to put an appearance. We may call at hospital to see xray plates this P.M..

May 4th: Another beautiful day which promises to be somewhat warmer. Georgia is expecting to go home with Ted’s this evening I think and after that we’ll try to get along somehow. No settlement with the Insurance company so far. I paid Georgia $10 this morning for her services for two weeks at the rate of $5 per week which I don’t consider is unreasonable. May did washing in P.M. In P.M. Seth took us down to the shop as Georgia expected to go home with Ted. They left shortly after 5P.M. after Ted had given his Ford water, gas and air. We -- Sam, Glenn, Seth, Alec and I left for home. I stopped at Glenn’s to do my shopping and after the men took Alec home they returned to the store for me but Elsie prevailed upon us to remain for supper so we did. I think they intended to go down to S.R. & Co. to do some shopping so we returned home early.

May 5th: Sam and Seth went to shop after breakfast and returned for lunch about 1:30. May came too and stitched a bit on her new navy silk skirt. Elsie and Glenn called a minute for the binoculars to do down and see Marx Bros. They returned during P.M. before men returned for dinner, didn’t stay long either time. Aside from these brief calls I was alone all day. Got along very well, tho slowly with dishes but did no sweeping. Prepared dinner alone.

May 6: Did some of the work after a fashion with one hand and in P.M. managed to make a Kamp curtain, but didn’t get rings on. In eve Seth took Sam and I over to Ivy and Vancouver Sts. not far from Fremont to a Townsend meeting. Speaker -- Rev. Wade N.G. Walked all the way home. Thot it would be good for me. Pretty tired, however.

May 7: I had just gotten around to put on my clean smock and be ready to go over to Dr. Uhle’s office when we ever Sam came along when May came up with the brown car to take me down to her place. Before we went she gave me a shampoo, a partial bath and a finger wave as weren’t to go to the doctor’s until after 3 o’clock. at lunch at May’s. May is a regular dear. She let me in on the fact that she’s making me a new suit for Mother’s Day -- navy silk! I didn’t know how to thank her and feel I didn’t do it very well. Had word from Bruce that he expects to arrive at Swan Island Airport by plane Friday at 5:40 PM to spend the weekend and Mother’s Day. Will be glad to see him indeed. 4 mo. away. Dr. Uhle took off adhesive tapes from arm and shoulders and counts upon my using a sling to support my arm and remove strain from clavicle while the healing process is being completed. Two weeks of those tapes were growing prety irksome and irritating.

May 8: Lovely weather this week. Not much fire in furnace. Letter from Georgia yesterday. Missed last week’s letter from Bruce some way. He said he wrote. Washed out four blankets with Cyclone washer Seth bot for me Mon. Left blankets in rinse so someone could hang them up. Seth remained at shop last nite and tonite to paint our car. Papa and I alone for two suppers and one breakfast.

May 9th:
Sam helped hang up blankets. May came up and brot them in and did some stitching, then Seth called for her in a hurry and they went back for men.

May 10th: Spent most of day tidying up the house. Expecting Bruce on 5:40 plane passenger at Swan Island airport. Sam called at 2:30 on way to Silverton with Atty. Cunningham to secure Georgia’s signature to Insurance “release.” Agreement reached last eve. to settle for Auto accident on Apr. 21st for total sum of $400 including doctor’s fee, x-ray work, time, repairs, etc. estimating fractured bone at $250.
Met Bruce at airport. Seth, Glenn, Doc, May and I and returned to Glenn’s where Elsie had supper about ready. Nice supper and plenty of chatter. Bruce looked a trifle thinner it seemed to me. Sam was at Elsie’s when we returned as they must have made good time. Returned home after 10 o’clock news and retired almost immediately.

May 11: Somewhat cool tho not so cool nor breezy as yesterday. Sam at Factory & shop. Bruce away to Wool Grower’s office. In P.M. Seth & Doc and Bruce went to Tom Mix Circus at --. Everyone “rounded up” at suppertime. Sam first: had supper about ready. Afterword Bruce took me to Glenn’s to do Sat. shopping. Seth went out for evening. Sam, Bruce and I discussed economics and the Townsend Plan.

May 12: After late breakfast, Sam and Seth went to Gresham to the Auto show. Bruce and I remained at home and Bruce looked over his accumulated mail. Had supper at about 6:30. Men returned about that time, also Glenn and Elsie on the way to the Hollywood to see “David Copperfield.” Glenn and Elsie gave me a box of chocolates for Mother’s Day. so did Bruce. May is making me a nice blue silk suit. Seth and Bruce went to a movie in the evening. Joe brot me snowballs and rhododendron last night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful excerpt from the journal! I can picture a 1935-style navy blue silk suit; but, if you happen to have a photo, would love to see it!
Cop Car

mscriver said...

Sorry, Cop Car. I looked, but there was no photo. Maybe it's best imagined!

Prairie Mary

Finney's said...

Just wonderful new found coz!
I too have a Blog on Blogger. Called
Our Finney Family.

Finney's said...

What a great part from her journal!
I think I remember Carol telling me one time they named Seth after Seth Strachan one time years ago.. She talked a lot about the family. From what I remember,from Carol's stories, they visited often each other in those years.