REMARKS

Since in my own mind many of these posts have been "chapters," I'm splitting some of them out to separate blogs. But also, my audience is divided and quite different, one part from another. Many have dropped out and many have newly arrived. There are recognizable paper "book" versions of some of the posts that fit together.

I find that some people still assume that a blog is a sort of diary. This one is not. It is not for children, either in terms of subject or writing style. It's not written "down." Think academic magazine or column without footnotes.


SOCIAL MEDIA

My name shows up on google+ and twitter, but I only monitor and will not add you. I do NOT do Facebook though someone with the same name does. Please use plain email. My phone landline is in the phone book. I have no cell phone.

Other Blogs by me

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE ART OF BOB SCRIVER, PLEASE GO TO: www.scriverart.blogspot.com.

Notes from Alvina Krause between 1957-1961 are posted at www.Krausenotes.blogspot.com


TWO REBLOGS:
Fiction about Indians at www.willowsticks.blogspot.com
Essays about Indians at www.siksikaskinitsiman.blogspot.com



Tuesday, November 29, 2011

CALVES: An Interstitial post

I'm making FIMO (Sculpy, et al) calves to sell at the Christmas Fair and Walk day after tomorrow. Last year I sold one, so I'm encouraged. I'm following the Bob Scriver theories of sculpture.

1. Don't be afraid to measure.
2. Keep a "morgue" of photos of the animals for reference.
3. When it comes to size, a "handful" is appealing.
4. The real secret is to participate in the "being" of the calf -- not just the way it looks to the rancher or other onlookers, but what it feels like to be a calf.

That said, my customers are likely to be ranchers, so I'd better take special care to be accurate. White is Charolais and will have a pink nose. The "Hereford" in the back is not quite a dark enough red, but that's the color of my FIMO. Next is a black Angus. I think I'll try a newborn.

3 comments:

Herdis said...

Hello Mary.
I read most of your posts - some of them I do not understand (too deep). Others I just love, especially when you write about your everyday life as a single, elderly woman in a small country village. Our lives aren't that different, even if there is half a continent between us. I would be proud to call you my friend. Now I will just enjoy your writings. Keep up your good work - also the deep ones - they are never boring.

Herdis said...

This commenting is confusing.. Wonder if my comment has been saved.
Love your calves - did you sell any??
BR
Herdis

prairie mary said...

No calves sold. However, I can make more on order. In the meantime, my niece -- who does artificial insemination and therefore is the "father" of many -- is likely to get one for Christmas.

Prairie Mary