Friday, August 25, 2006

Little Lulu Is Arrogant



Little Lulu thinks she knows everything!

My finished book “Twelve Blackfeet Stories” arrived via UPS yesterday. I opened it and had a good laugh. The directions had said, “Be sure you proof your manuscript and cover one last time, even if you think you’ve done a perfect job.” Well, I thought, I’ve been over this stuff a million times! I can’t have missed anything!

So what’s right there on the cover? I forgot to hit the button that removes the “secret symbols” like the bent arrow that means “start a new paragraph.” And in the time-line at the end of the stories, I failed to capitalize the sub-heading on the story about “Cutnose Woman.” It’s arrogance, pure arrogance.

Little Lulu is like Napi -- she rushes in, thinking she knows all the answers. She should have asked someone to “edit” for her.

Luckily, Lulu.com provides for revisions. In fact, it has a little counter to keep track of how many there have been! So this time I will wait overnight until I can really find the errors -- or at last the main ones -- and correct them.

Other than that, the book looks pretty good and I will go ahead and pay the $100 so it will be listed on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Google. That take months, so it should be there in time for Christmas. One of the main things about this publishing stuff is the immense lead times, which I’m gradually beginning to understand!




Little Lulu just can't wait!

No comments: