Saturday, May 03, 2008

POP:-- John E. Pinkerton, Roseburg, Ore

John Pinkerton, my mother’s father, wrote his letters in handwriting that would be 24 point if it were a computer font. He writes on lined newsprint tablets with no margins and to the bottom of the page. All spelling and punctuation is left as it was. He started using a colon plus a dash, which developed into the symbol for division! Tomorrow I’ll write a little interpretation, but here are his letters, a little inscrutable.

Roseburg, Or
8-12-55

Dear Lou: I dug up your letter of June 4th and Red it again. Contents Carefully Noted. I suppose it Puts you Right on your toe’s to Keep up at school. Well I hope you make it thru! But occasionally close your Books open your Ey’s, and see the great Phenomena. Moses seen it altho he had been 40 years in the wilderness. You know what I mean!
I had a spell of flu Just at the time of the Rose festival. so I did not consider going up with Caroline. quite a lot of Grapevine news but will hold it to a later date! Lois quit her Job. We was up in Linn Co. Mon-Tue & Wed. Bizness: -- have been pretty well Except arthitis. Weigh 205.
Have developed a wild hare fur a trip East.! A letter yesterday from Harry Dobbins, Pawnee City. Neb (age 79) wants to take a trip to Mo. Chas Allen (81) Walter Allen (75) Willis Allen (79) Eva Harry Sister (86) the Martins & Baily at Waynesville, Mo. Maud Chambers Barlow (83) I think I might stand the trip O.K. If I dont, so what. I guess its about now or never.
I may be calling you to get me from Greyhound Depot to Union Station:--
Vera and her Gang is having a Round with Mumps.
Dr James Millar is in Paris France delegate to World Y.M.C.A. he was to have preached in his old church in Ireland Sun.--
The S.P. took off the Passenger Trains. No Passenger trains in Roseburg. I think its just as well.-- I suppose you read of the “Pony Express” race from Eugene to Roseburg.
Why dont you come up. Penty of Beds. My credit is still good for groceries. Ike is very Popular yet, but he cant transfer his Popularity to the Republican Party! No special News.
Pop. John E. Pinkerton.
P.S. Lois Has a good deal of Buisness to attend to so will not go. Will go by train or Plane to Neb. Harry has a good car. JEP

Roseburg Ore
11-15-56

Dear Lou: -- Am enclosing a letter & clipping that may interest you!
I wrote Aunt Margaret a letter congralutaling her: you might do likewise if you like: as you seen her a few years ago. 67 years since I saw her --
About 2 months ago a woman came to the door on Sat eve, she said I am you Third cousin. About 55, maid, drives a good car, Her hobby is family records, travels by herself. From S. Carolina to coast. goes to court house an goes thru Records. Lives not far from Denver, she stayed all night with us,
I couldnt ask her any question about Boyds or Gipsons. she could turn to her record & tell me --
Haven’t heard anything from Jim or Flos Direct or “Grapvine”
Beck & Pud may get into Fort Knox, by the first of year.
Haven’t seen Alene for 3 or 4 weeks,
I suppose you were happy with the Election, The Demmies Elected Ike. The Republicans lost the Election. Ike cant tranfer his Popularity to Reb party I was glad to see McKay let out. Your old friend Ellsworth Lost out V.T. Jackson was Elected Co. Judge, Huron Clough co comissioner, Paul Geddes was defeated for State Sen.
I think Ike will have to change his Plans on “Partnerships” Ore, Wash & Idaho say’s so.
Dr. Warrington Preached for us the last 6 sundays he is the same fine fellow (72). his wife died 1 1/2 yrs ago. Dick is a surgeon in Portland, doing good!
I suppose you are pretty busy finishing up you Sheepskin.
When are you coming up? Between telephone & women’s doings Lois is pretty busy!
I am not much good to do any work: too much Arthitis. Othewiese O.K. Lots of Entertainment from T.V. West to both the Conventions, Every Session, Uncle Jim passed his three score & ten Oct 21. Helen would have been 43 Oct 22 All for this time
Pop

Roseburg Ore
11-17-56

Dear Lou: -- your letter rcd yesterday yes I will be happy to help you out and will fix it up Monday. and you can sign it. I think it a good Idea to do it in a business like way a Record: no one at this end will know anything about it except Lois & Myself.
You mentioned running light on clock time. don’t get too much tension. Tension can cause Coronary & Stomach Ulcers. Set down & rest & think occasionally, you know. A person is 3 parts, Mental, Physical & Spiritual. And if you lost one of them would be lopsided. I decided a number of year’s ago. I would let the Lord run My Business and it has went better than the year’s before. Don’t worry!
Dr. Warrington conducted a bible Study for 6, sunday Eve on the Beatitudes. 5, 6, 7. chap of Matthew. Take time to set down & read them. The last few verses are on the Kind of House to build, specifications & Details.
Don’t neglect you Spiritual Life. the Sand is carelessness, indifference, selfishness etc. wont stand when storm strikes.
I hope you make a Dedicated Teacher, Instead of a $$ teacher of course you are going to need the Dollars. but they will be added too.
Well this is a good deal of Preaching for me--
Some of the Old Boys and Gals almost went into Shock over the Election! Around here, for Example, Paul Geddes, Harris Elsworth, Roy Hatfield, Flossie LVerden, Myrtle Kent, Ella Lenox. They will get over it.
You will hear from me tue or Wed.
Pop

Roseburg, Ore
12-24-56

Dear Lou:-- Just about Xmas again -- understand you are throwing a “Whinger” tomorrow, Big gobler & Stuffing.
here is wishing you a good time
Your sister Beck is moved into her Mansion, are invited out tonight for tree & tomorrow for dinner. Who knows, but what she may develop into a Socialite?
Weather keeps cold here about 30º at night. Enclosed find a piece of Paper. get some “tricks” for your home. stock up on shoes & socks & Dresses, may need them before you get to drawing down salary,
Not much news around here. this is private so far as Roseburg is concerned.
Pop


Roseburg Ore
8-27-58

Dear Lou: -- your letter Rced this morn. sorry to hear of your trouble, but maybe it wont be as bad as you think: we will hope you get along good; surgery is a sience in comparison to years ago: you are pretty buxom and stout, but dont hurry out to quick!
Aline & Freddie were here at noon -- She had Rcd you letter. Fred seems to enjoy this part of the World.
Well I have a lot of drivers to Idaho and am sorry to count you out. Am counting on Alene she has never been over there: she takes so much interest. I think the last of Sept or first of Oct would be a good time.
Am somewhat improved from my trip to Rinehart Clinic am some easier anyway. if it holds:
I was up there 2 1/2 weeks. Crutches & canes, twisted Hands & feet. Lots of them so much worse than me I almost felt ashamed: there must be 50 to 100 every day. 6 doctors Alene thot it to be a gold mine! but seemed to me to be reasonable. There was a piece in the last Post. about a Catholic Priest. Suggest you read it.
By the way Sentar Best’s plea for a dog: I seen it over T.V. Joseph Cotton Show it is one of the Masterpieces.
I had a letter from Jimmie a few days ago hadn’t been so good. but was better again.
Lois foot is getting better. May be walking on it before long. Well look out for old “Turbo” to pull up on your driveway. When does Mary go Back to Evanston?
It has been mighty hot here not much news, will be glad to hear from you.
Pop

No comments: