Monday, December 13, 2010

eMAC probls

Sometime last night my eMac stopped interfacing with the Internet.  I'm typing this at the library. 

I've talked to three shifts of techies at 3 Rivers, my provider, where they told me I had to replace my splitter, my phone cord, and my Ethernet cord.  Did that.

Talked to the helpful machine at MAC, then a much more helpful MAN at MAC, then the "legacy" division, then the special eMAC person at the legacy division.  All stumped.

I won't be back until I figure this out, but my computer works and I'm fine.  The temp today is fifty and the town is aswim.  Squibbie has found a patch of relatively dry grass and is sitting on it so it won't get away.

Prairie Mary

3 comments:

artemesia said...

Oh Mary what a hassle! Do you have a modem (or router?)? Sometimes they need to be replaced or have their software upgraded. Your ISP should be able to help sort this out. I have an eMac too. I'd like to replace it.
Good luck! xxx Kathy

mscriver said...

The computer connection was back this morning, all morning, but now it's off again. I'm typing from the library. The librarian says she's heard complaints from several people who are off, though the library is stable.

One of the problems in a small town way out West where conduits must reach a long ways is that the gas, the electricity and the phone lines are not dependable -- waxing and waning, sometimes altogether missing.

Maybe things will be restored by morning.

Prairie Mary

Mary Strachan Scriver said...

This gets more and more interesting. The computer connection to the internet went off some time in the afternoon. The techies asked me to keep track. At 7PM, it was off. Same at 8:30PM and 9:15PM. Suddenly at 9:30PM it was ON.

One theory is that there is moisture in the phone lines and that when it gets warm, it interferes. But when it's cold, it freezes and doesn't make trouble.

I think I'll stick to my theory of overload by kids.

Prairie Mary