Thursday, July 23, 2020

CONSUMER REPORT

You know those little cube air conditioners that are being promoted everywhere?  This is a consumer report.  First let me say I love this little gizmo and it is making my life far more bearable when the weather gets hot.  I’m on the keyboard all morning in a small eastside bedroom that takes a lot of sun and I normally run a little clip fan to keep things moving.  This AC is not more powerful, but it is quite a bit cooler.  I point it right at me a little more than a foot away but the doors are open so warm air and gnats do come through — then get blown away.

There are two possible problematics: the “cool” depends on the air blowing past a little reservoir that charges a foam filter that does the evaporation.  I find that I need to refill the reservoir hourly.  Only a cup of water.  No sweat. (jokes)

The other thing is that much of it is plastic which squeaks and sticks.  My computer printer is the same.

I feel quite smug about this pal o’ mine and brag it up to others.  Then I went down to see my mechanic in his vast warehouse work space, always orderly and cool.  What was keeping it cool was a dishpan of water with a fan blowing across the top.  Very simple.  Same thing, but not as cute.

I’m gonna give away my window AC.

No comments: